Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Using Capitals

Hi,
Two days back I pondered over a topic for my blog and thought that I shall do on "The wonders of the world". I thought of doing a good reading on this topic inorder to come up with a nice blog. But, I'm not sure if I have done enough and so I thought of endowing the readers of my blog with 'Using Capitals in texts', an area which is akin to User Centered Design (UCD). Again this is an area with which I'm not versed with. But, still I ventured to present a post on it over here. The main inception to this is a web site that I happened to browse very recently. (I'll mention it in the post).

"ANY WAY, I'M GOING TO PRESENT A VERY SUCCINCT WRITING ON THIS TOPIC EVEN THOUGH I'M NOT SURE IF I'LL BE ABLE TO DO COMPLETE JUSTICE. I HOPE THAT ATLEAST THIS WILL HELP THE READERS IN GETTING INTRODUCED TO THIS NEW VISAGE OF DESIGN"

Hi, so now let me ask you one interesting question:
Which of the above two paragraphs do you find easy to read?
I'm sure that the answer from most of you will be the first paragraph (the one with small letters) .
Emperically it was observed that a paragraph full of capital letters reduces the efficiency of reading by 20-30 percent. First of all, reading a materail on the vertical computer screen itself is observed to be 20-30% slower than reading from a book. So, adding all capitals further aggravates this issue. There are many issues like this which affects the design of the web-sites.


Using capital letters does not have just the disadvantages. There are myriad of advantages as well if used properly in your web design.

Here is an account of a web-site where the author mentiones that he/she was gobsmacked to find that just a small change in the text (from small to capital) resulted in a considerable increase in the sales. I would recommend the readers to browse it once in order to have a consolidated idea of what exactly is the power of capitals..... Here is the web link for you...
http://www.dropcapitals.com/

I think that the first post of mine which may be of interest to others is atleast useful to a little extend. I'll see if I can come up with more interesting posts in the imminent future..........

2 Comments:

Blogger Satish said...

Nice post there!!
Waiting for more posts

Best wishes,
satish

2:23 AM  
Blogger Mohan Kodali said...

Capitals are generally used if we wanna indicate that we are serious or we are shouting at someone.


thats general in any forum or in any Y! chat :D

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home